The Ministry of Finance was awarded “Most Impressive Latin American Green / SRI Debt issuer” award in GlobalCapital Bonds Awards 2021. GlobalCapital is a media outlet focused on international capital markets, part of the Euromoney group.
The award reflects the Ministry of Finance’s work in the issuance of thematic bonds in recent years, issuing green bonds since 2019, social bonds since 2020, and sustainable bonds in 2021.
The Government of Chile is firmly committed to climate action and has pioneered the issuance of sovereign green bonds in the Americas since 2019. Proceeds of green issuances primarily finance clean transportation projects, contributing to the decarbonization of the Chilean economy, and advancing the country’s Paris Agreement commitments. The Ministry of Finance has issued approximately USD16.2 billion in thematic bonds since 2019, of which approximately USD7.7 billion are green, USD7 billion are social, and USD1.5 billion are sustainable. Thematic bonds represent 16.6% of the Central Government’s outstanding debt stock, among the highest in the world.
Of note, the Ministry of Finance was previously awarded “Green Bond of the Year for Latin America”, by GlobalCapital in 2019.
Awards and Honors
Over the past several years, the Ministry of Finance has been recognized with several awards and honors for the debt management strategy, specific transactions, and innovations in the development of financial instruments. Below is a list of the awards and recognitions:
• Largest Emerging Market Certified Climate Bond in 2020, Climate Bonds Initiative Awards 2021.
• Green Finance 2019, The Banker.
• Green Bond of the Year-Sovereign, Environmental Finance Bond Award 2019.
• Financing, Netexplo Smart Cities Accelerator UNESCO 2019.
• Sovereign Issuer of the Year, LatinFinance Awards 2019.
• Best Public Debt Office/Sovereign Debt Management Office in Latin America, GlobalMarkets Awards 2019.
• Green Bond of the Year for Latin America, GlobalCapital Sustainable and Responsible Capital Markets Awards 2019.
• Local Currency Bond Deal of the Year, Bonds&Loans Awards 2018.
• Sovereign Bond of the Year, LatinFinance Awards 2019.
• Recognition for Innovation in Sustainable Finance 2019, Spanish Observatory of Sustainable Financing.